Welcome to my blog XD
RSS

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My First New Year in April


by Tan May Ling

Travelling to Thailand is quite common among Malaysians since they are neighbours. So to say, this is not my first time travelling up north to Thailand. I’ve being to Hatyai and Bangkok ever since I was around the age of 4.

Yet, I never had much impression about Thailand, except clothes are cheap, but then again, it isn’t that low price. The last time I drop by at Thailand was when I was still in high school and quite frankly, Thailand wasn’t in my must-invade-list.

During Chinese New Year, my aunt drop by for a visit and out of nowhere, she asked if I’m interested with the Water Festival in Hatyai. Since I’m all into festival/culture kind of thing, I’ve decide to give it a shot and travel up to Hatyai after almost 10 years since my last visit.

 I wasn’t aware of this festival at all, and I don’t even know what’s the festival name but luckily there is always Mr Google by my side and I found out it is called “Songkran Festival” and it usually falls around 11th to 14th of April. Songkran Festival is also well known as the Thai New Year.


This year, it falls on 11th to 14th of April, but the most happening day is during the on the New Year day itself, which is on the 13th (Saturday). Foam party and water fight can be sighted all along the street of Hatyai on the day itself. Even during the eve of New Year, people already started the water fight and partying all night long.

Padestrian splashing water on the performer on the night of New Year Eve parede outside of Golden Crown Hotel -by May Ling
On the New Year eve, I was planning to go to the party site for some fun but I was told by my aunt it is more fun on New Year itself where everyone will go all out for the festival. So I decide to conserve my energy for the next day – the BEST decision I’ve made for the trip! Because the next day after the festival, my hand was like a jelly! One of the girls I met during the festival told me they play too much during Friday night (New Year Eve) that they are too tired to go all out on Saturday and they ended up standing by the road watching everyone splashing /aiming water at others.

My first advice, don’t party too much on the New Year Eve unless you are confident that you have the stamina to join the water fight the next day.

What happens during the festival? On the New Year Eve, you can start seeing groups of people carrying water guns or bucket, splashing pedestrians as they walk pass, but it is not as bad as the New Year day itself where you can splash basically anyone that walk pass you! Traditionally it is the young one that sprinkles the elders with water as a form of blessing and respect. Water is very important in Thai New Year as it symbolizes cleansing and renewal.

On New Year itself, you can see fire truck driving around the city, supplying everyone with water (which I think is awesome!). But bear in mind, water is not the only thing used during the festival. White powder mixed with water or cold water mixed with Thai fragrance is also used during the festival. Personally, I prefer the luke water. Apparently the water with fragrance can be very cold and when you are all wet and shivering, cold water makes it worst!

Overall the whole festival was interesting and fun! I’ve enjoyed it a lot and definitely going again next year. How often do you get to be splashing water at people like a kid and not get scolded? Practically nil! Plus, the food is awesome and their Tesco and 7-11 have everything!

Uncle resting on a tuk tuk during the parade, I'm guessing too tired after numerous attempt of shooting
with the water gun - photo by May Ling
If you are interested to experience this festival, do take note of a few things.
  1. 1.       Travel to your destination at 24 hours earlier (if you are travelling by land), immigration and custom can be very pack.
  2. 2.       Prices go up double, so make sure you bargain with them, this includes the tuk tuk drivers.
  3. 3.       Make sure you bring dark colour clothes, and double check whether does it become transparent after being soak with water (unless you wish to demonstrate how sexy you are and enjoy being target by all the males in the festival.
  4. 4.       The sexier you wear, the higher your chance of being splash and attack by everyone (I’ve seen how guys purposely aim the guns at women’s boobs).
  5. 5.       Local Thai (elders) sprinkle water on you but younger generation and tourist will splash you with a bucket of water or aim your face (eyes, nose, or ears) with water gun.
  6. 6.       Don’t wear contact lens (I’ve notice spectacles protect my eyes from being poke when people apply the white powder on my face).
  7. 7.       Get a proper flip flop that you are sure you won’t slip and fall because everywhere is wet!
  8. 8.       Don’t put on raincoat, it is a water festival, people will pull the raincoat up and splash you as well, so I do not see the point of wearing it.
  9. 9.       Any tuk tuk that passes by is a target. Sometimes even the driver will purposely drive you pass places where people are standing by with water to make sure you get wet.
  10. 10.   If you do not want to get wet, stay inside your hotel. Don’t even bother to step out the entrance because that’s where hotel guests armed with water gun and buckets standby.
  11. 11.   I really do NOT wish to drag in religion but I notice the festival is another facet of Buddhism and I noticed there are certain religions that are a bit strict about participating in other religion practice, in this case, being splash with the water. If this happens to be you, take my previous advise, STAY INDOOR because on the New Year Day itself, nobody really care who you are, as long as you are dry, they will splash you since everyone is allowed to splash anyone with water and the person got splashed must smile and cannot be angry (come on, that person is doing you a good deed by blessing you! What else you want more?) But hey, this is all about experience new culture, so if you don’t mind, you are always welcome to the festival.
Here a website for you to refer to if you really want to know more about the Songkran Festival.

0 comments:

Post a Comment